TEDWomen is a TED event curated by TED that focuses on women and women’s issues. TEDxWomen events are TEDx events that follow the live webcast of TEDWomen, and also feature live and local speakers. Our event is called TEDxSMUWomen and we are one of the many TEDx events that will happen around the world on November 2nd! We will expand upon the ideas brought up at TEDWomen, while also relating it back to the Women of Dallas.
Location: Hughes-Trigg Student Center, basement level, on the SMU Campus
8:00 am | Registration and Light Breakfast | Main Lobby
8:30 am – 10:00 am | TEDWomen Live Simulcast from New Orleans | Theatre
- Session 2: Design | Hosted by Alaa Murabit
- John Cary | Design ambassador
- Amanda Phingbodhipakkiya | Designer, STEM advocate
- Nadine Hachach-Haram | Surgeon, entrepreneur
- Asali DeVan Ecclesiastes | Community servant
- Anushka Naiknaware | Scientist
9:00 am – 10:00 am | Workshops Session 1 | 3 Different Workshops, choose 1
Choice 1: Fast Track Your Leadership: Bridge the Gap from High-Potential to High-Powered Leader | Forum in Hughes-Trigg
- What would be possible if you could show up powerfully no matter what the situation?
- How could you be noticed for your high-performance, dedication and drive?
- What is blocking or detouring you from your professional success?
- “Negotiate your influence.” Learn practical strategies to:
- Reach winning results with trust and integrity.
- Create significant connections with key people and attract support for your ideas.
- Make confident decisions and embrace strategic risk taking.
Linda Swindling | President | Journey On
Choice 2: Breaking Barriers: Insights from Four Female Executives Who Do It all | Ballroom in Hughes-Trigg
In this session you will hear the personal and professional experiences of four executive women who are mothers, bosses, and community leaders. Learn how to balance it all and how to inspire the balance in others.
Moderated By: Brandy Dalton | Director of BBA & MS Career Programs | SMU Cox School of Business
Brooke Hopkins | AlixPartners LLP | Director, Global Investigations, Compliance, and Disputes
Kim Robinson | Girl Scouts of Northeast Texas | Chief Operating Officer
Mitzi Chollampel | DFW International Airport | Sr. Manager, International Marketing and Public Relations
Thear Suzuki | EY | Advisory Services Managing Partner, Southwest Region
Lisa Tran | SMU Cox School of Business | Executive Director, Career Management Center
Choice 3: Women of Color and Power of Narratives | Promenade Room
Dr. Candice Bledsoe | | Graduate Liberal Studies Faculty | SMU Simmons School of Education
10:00 am – 10:30 am | Break
10:30 am – 11:45 am | TEDxSMUWomen Speaker Session 1 | Hosted by Shelly Slater | Theatre
- Tara Jaye Frank | Author & CEO | P3TGroup Inc.
- Ruan Meintjes | Chief Operating Officer | Frisco Institute for Reproductive Medicine
- Sharyn Wilding | Executive Director | Humpty Dumpty Day School
- Frances Cudjoe-Waters | Chief Strategist & Chair | FCW Consulting
- Stephanie Bernal | Vice President | Bernstein
11:45 am – 1:00 pm Lunch | Ballroom
There are numerous options for lunch in Hughes-Trigg for general admission attendees
1:00 pm – 2:15 pm | TEDxSMUWomen Speaker Session 2 | Hosted by Shelly Slater | Theatre
- Becca Weigman | Owner & CEO | TM Advertising
- Liz Navarro | SMU | Adjunct & Communications Professional
- Catelyn Devlin | Grant Manager | CASA of Tarrant County
- Mercedes Fulbright | Connector, Activist & Catalyst
- Leslie O’Hare | President | Leslie O’Hare Media
2:30 pm – 4:00 pm | TEDWomen Live from New Orleans | Theatre
- Session 4: Suspend | Hosted by Jacqueline Novogratz
- Shameem Akhtar | Writer and social worker
- Lera Boroditsky | Cognitive scientist
- Teresa Njoroge | Social justice reform advocate
- Helen Gillet | Cellist
- Dixon Chibanda | Psychiatrist
- Lindsay Stradley | Urban poverty activist
- Steph Speirs | Solar entrepreneur
- Minda Dentler | Athlete, activist
2:30 pm – 3:30 pm | Conversation with the Speakers | Ballroom
Select speakers from the live sessions will answer questions from attendees and take a deep dive into their individual subjects.
4:00 pm – 5:00 pm | Break
During this break TEDxSMU Executive Director Heather Hankamer will be hosting a TEDx info session in the Ballroom. Ask questions, give suggestions or pitch your TEDx talk idea!
5:00 pm – 6:30 pm | TEDWomen Live Simulcast from New Orleans | Theatre
- Session 5: Burn | Hosted by Jess Search
- Judith Hill | Singer
- Gretchen Carlson | TV journalist, women’s empowerment advocate
- Tara Houska | Tribal attorney and advocate
- Clemantine Wamariya | Storyteller, human rights advocate
- Justin Baldoni | Actor, filmmaker and social entrepreneur
- Mwende “FreeQuency” Katwiwa | Writer, youth worker, freedom fighter
- Sally Kohn | Political pundit
5:00 pm – 6:30 pm Wine, Bites & Networking | Ballroom